Thursday, March 6, 2008

It was another rough night. The pain is here now. To add to that, the girls were up at 3:00 in the morning giggling and playing. My cold was really bad yesterday and I had been taking some over the counter anti histamine that wasn't doing much. Then I remembered that I had some good prescription stuff, so I took one of those last night. However, they make you really tired. So, it was pretty disturbing to have to get up and deal with the kids. Al even got up to help. Needless to say, I had to literally drag Brooke out of bed for school this morning.
We saw the radiation oncologist yesterday and she prescribed some "magic mouthwash." He is supposed to gargle with it and then swallow it to coat his throat. After about 10 minutes, he should be able to swallow something. So, he'll use that before he eats and at bedtime. He was also given some liquid Hydrocodone to use every 4-6 hours for the pain. She said to see how this goes and if necessary, they will add some stronger stuff as time goes on. I think we are both getting nervous. They told us that the pain will hit by the 3rd week, so we were warned. But, you still kind of hope that you'll be the exception! Again, the doctor said that the tumor is shrinking. When Al went to the restroom, the doctor told me that he is doing a really good job. Then she corrected herself and said, "Both of you." Thank you! I know that he is the one that has to go through this, but I totally feel like I'm right there with him in it. I hope he does too. I always tell him about everyone that asks about him and let him know that he has a whole bunch of people pulling for him. I imagine it must be a lonely and scary thing for him at times.

No comments: